Photo Thangs

For questions about other stuff like appearance requests, charity, etc.

Moderators: shadowscout, Moderators

bcslaski
Cadet

Photo Thangs

Postby bcslaski » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:21 pm

I've been meaning to post something here for a while now regarding photography related things, but haven't. Now's a good time as any, yeah?

I currently have three things regarding this topic.
    1. Some amount of photography equipment
    2. Some nebulous degree of adequacy with using said equipment
    3. A desire to get out of my funk and start using the stuff regularly again

This in mind, I'd like to make it known that if anyone here needs/wants photos for anything, definitely let me know. As with a lot of things lately, the main sticky point is my lack of transportation. That said, providing we can work something out, I'm glad to do photos for peeps here. Just putting it out there. If anyone had ideas for a photo shoot, let's talk and plan something. I have ideas for a video I'd like to do, but I'm researching gear at the moment.

That's it. Photo stuff. I own stuff I sometimes remember how to use if you need that sort of thing.
Brian Slaski
Baltimore, MD
spree610
501st Member

Re: Photo Thangs

Postby spree610 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:45 pm

I think getting a group together in costumes to take photos around different DC sites would be pretty cool. ie: in front of the white house, in front of the capital, State Dept, etc.
Justin Strait, SL-61000
Legion Captain of the Guard
KA-513
Veteran

Postby KA-513 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:27 pm

It's a cool idea and all, but keep in mind that under DC law, it is illegal to wear a helmet or face mask that obscures the identity of the wearer while on DC property (ie: streets, public parks, etc.). Technically, there is a loophole in the law that has to deal with intent (ie: it only applies if you wear one because you intent to break the law), but intent is kind of a hard thing to prove.

That being said (and I have absolutely zero intent of raining on anyone's parade), it might also be cool to shoot at some of the famous landmarks in Maryland and VA(or just at some places in general).
Josh "J-Rock" Graham
TI-8342
Fettski
Reserve

Postby Fettski » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:46 pm

ive been tossing the idea of a promo video for the mercs around in my mind and the same could be done for OLG. A well edited video compilation of troopers doing what troopers do at events, canon and non canon. Just a video of what it is like to be a member of OLG. it will take some time and a good deal of editing but could be great. some behind the scenes stuff, armor parties, events, cons, interview perhaps with members or celebs, honorary member inductions, video montage of pictures with music in background, etc. Id be happy to sit down and share my ideas. We could post it on youtube and have it play at our booth during events.
Jason aka Ski
TB8754
Mandalorian Merc Clan Leader
bcslaski
Cadet

Postby bcslaski » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm down with a video, too. My D7000 does decent video and I have wanted to start experimenting with that sort of thing for a while. Could be a good chance at learning this stuff, if I'm honest.
Brian Slaski
Baltimore, MD
bwise
Cadet

Postby bwise » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:21 am

KA-513 wrote:It's a cool idea and all, but keep in mind that under DC law, it is illegal to wear a helmet or face mask that obscures the identity of the wearer while on DC property (ie: streets, public parks, etc.). Technically, there is a loophole in the law that has to deal with intent (ie: it only applies if you wear one because you intent to break the law), but intent is kind of a hard thing to prove.

That being said (and I have absolutely zero intent of raining on anyone's parade), it might also be cool to shoot at some of the famous landmarks in Maryland and VA(or just at some places in general).

I'm sure the DC po po have a workaround for that, such as a permit for such things that we could apply for ahead of time. Most municipalities do for special events. If you'd like, I can research this; I'm very good at research (wicked good, if you're from Bahston).
Brian Wise, USCG
"That'll be very difficult, sir."
"Does that mean you can't do it?"
"Sir, we do the impossible on a daily basis. 'Very difficult' means it'll be a piece of cake."
spree610
501st Member

Postby spree610 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:01 am

bwise wrote:
KA-513 wrote:It's a cool idea and all, but keep in mind that under DC law, it is illegal to wear a helmet or face mask that obscures the identity of the wearer while on DC property (ie: streets, public parks, etc.). Technically, there is a loophole in the law that has to deal with intent (ie: it only applies if you wear one because you intent to break the law), but intent is kind of a hard thing to prove.

I'm sure the DC po po have a workaround for that, such as a permit for such things that we could apply for ahead of time. Most municipalities do for special events. If you'd like, I can research this; I'm very good at research (wicked good, if you're from Bahston).

You are correct about the mask law which referred to comission of crimes. I've actually posed the question to MPD to see what they say about it.

*Edit: MPD punted the question to U.S. Park Police. *facepalm**
Justin Strait, SL-61000
Legion Captain of the Guard
bwise
Cadet

Postby bwise » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:27 am

Also, I think in this case, intent will be very easy to prove, if a bunch of people are not only in full masks, but full costumes and standing in front of a camera. I'm quite certain people can take off their masks while transiting from site to site.
Brian Wise, USCG
"Sir, we do the impossible on a daily basis. 'Very difficult' means it'll be a piece of cake."
crashmann
Webmaster

Postby crashmann » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 pm

spree610 wrote:*Edit: MPD punted the question to U.S. Park Police. *facepalm**

It depends on where we are having the photo shoot. Although Metropolitan Police Department is the controlling agency in Washington DC, most of the monuments are under the jurisdiction of the US Park Police.

There are more than 50 different law enforcement agencies in DC!
Charlie Mann
TI-386
bcslaski
Cadet

Postby bcslaski » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:47 pm

And also, I'm talking individually if people would like to do photo shoots as well. Not just group things. Need new photos of your costume? If we can work meeting somewhere out, I can do that? Got a cool idea for a shoot just to have wicked photos? I'm down.
Brian Slaski
Baltimore, MD
bwise
Cadet

Postby bwise » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Official word from my DC cop friend is that as long as it's obvious that we're not trying to rob anywhere, we're golden.
Brian Wise, USCG
Lady Rex
Commanding Officer

Postby Lady Rex » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Brilliant. I'd love to be involved... in armor this time. :)
Emily Schram | CC-9529 | Commanding Officer
The name's Rex. But you can call me Captain or Sir.