Building a TX-130 Saber Class Tank

For questions about other stuff like appearance requests, charity, etc.

Moderators: shadowscout, Moderators

Jmorr1235
Enlisted

Re: Building a TX-130 Saber Class Tank

Postby Jmorr1235 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 am

IN 2452 wrote:One thing we need to think about is what type of vehicle are we going to use and how much of it are we going to keep and how much we are going to get rid of

My friend (the pro float builder) may be willing to help us build the chasis and drive system for it so we wouldn't need a vehicle. If that doesn't work out, I figured a Jeep Wrangler would be the best possible option. Fairly strong, and if we could get one with a soft top, we wouldn't have to worry about having to chop the top off.
Josh Orr
Nickname: OrrElse
KA-513
Veteran

Postby KA-513 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:41 pm

Suggestion on materials: 10mm coroplast is fairly lightweight and sturdy. We could also cover any flue marks with some 1mm sintra(which is extremely easy to print on if someone has access to a wide format flatbed printer).
Josh "J-Rock" Graham
TI-8342
IN 2452
Captain

Postby IN 2452 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:39 pm

That's a good idea, in areas were we would use to stand and sit we can make it out of strong materials and other areas we could use thinner materials.
Dan Rodriguez
IN/IC/TI/TK/GM/ID/TA/CT/TX/TR 2452
Legion Commanding Officer
Retired Legion Captain of the Guard (2 Years)
CO 53rd FAC
Galactic Marine Expert Blizzard Force
Jmorr1235
Enlisted

Postby Jmorr1235 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:13 am

IN 2452 wrote:That's a good idea, in areas were we would use to stand and sit we can make it out of strong materials and other areas we could use thinner materials.

The question is then where do we put the places to stand/sit? Also, looking at the cost of coroplast, it's fairly expensive compared to regular plywood. What I sent to my friend is to have a two seater driver compartment so we could have one driver and one trooper standing up through the hatch.I figured then maybe have two or three other characters standing/sitting on the sides of it.
Josh Orr
Jmorr1235
Enlisted

Postby Jmorr1235 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:44 am

Can anyone help me with figuring out the surface area of the tank? The dimensions I gave my friend is 20 deet long, 8 feet wide, and 7 feet tall. I got a number of 1120 square feet but that doesn't seem to be correct. I am trying to figure out how much material we are going to need to cover it so I can determine the estimated weight. Any help is appreciated.

What I came up with is this:

Surface area in square feet: 1120 sq ft (20L x 8W x 7H = 1120)

I found some light weight plywood that is 2 feet by 2 feet so 4 square feet and it's 3/16" thick.

1120 / 4 = 280 tiles of plywood

I rounded up to 300 for safety in case we need extra pieces.

(The chasis's my friend builds are made out of steel tubing which is why I think we could opt for a not as thick plywood to cover it with.)
Anyone? Help please???
Josh Orr
tubachris85x
501st Member

Postby tubachris85x » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:33 am

Interesting, I've always felt this vehicle would be best built for a parade/outdoor event, etc.

I would also agree with the previous suggestions of alternate material to plywood. Aside from additional weight, plywood will be pretty difficult to give a proper smoothed surface appearance without adding, say thin metal or plastic sheets over it. At that point, it will just add further weight.
Winning every battle since 1980
bwise
Cadet

Postby bwise » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:26 am

I'd be willing to offer my Toyota Tacoma as the vehicle, providing we don't need to drill into the body. I'm even willing to look into taking the bed off if that'll help. It's a strong little truck, and plenty of creature comforts. Even a full back seat (double cab) so costumed walkers can rotate through for a heat break (a.c. is ridiculous in this truck).

Looking at the pic, the hatch is behind where the cab would be, so a pickup would make more sense, with the trooper standing up in the bed.
Brian Wise, USCG
"That'll be very difficult, sir."
"Does that mean you can't do it?"
"Sir, we do the impossible on a daily basis. 'Very difficult' means it'll be a piece of cake."