Mountain Garrison Member in your neighborhood April 26-May 9

For questions about other stuff like appearance requests, charity, etc.

Moderators: shadowscout, Moderators

Obey Wann
501st Member

Mountain Garrison Member in your neighborhood April 26-May 9

Postby Obey Wann » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi there,

My name is Bill Blackburn, TS-6960 from the Mountain Garrison. I will be stopping by DC for 2 weeks and thought I'd say hi and see if I could meet with any members, or possibly even troop with you all.

I'll be staying at the AKA White House, just a couple of blocks from that other White House, and am doing a 2-week internship rotation at my agency's DC office (main DOI building). For my day job, I make training videos for the Office of Natural Resources Revenue, part of the US Department of the Interior. On the side, I make videos and take photos for fun, especially at 501st/Rebel legion events.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfCKr7 ... pjQ/videos

I won't have a car, so I'll be taking the Metro, hoofing it and biking for the vast majority of the time, but I might rent a car for my long weekend. We'll see. I was told that the Udvar Hazey air and space annex museum is worth the drive.

I could possibly bring along my IC or X-Wing pilot costume and fit it in my luggage, if there are any events happening while I'm out there. I won't have room for my snow scout. :(

And if nothing else, I'd love to meet any of you that work or live near DC.

I'd also love any opinions of things to do, see, or places to eat at.

On the list:

Monuments at night boat cruise - scheduled
White House (no tour)
Washington Monument
3 Soldiers
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
Korean War Memorial
MLK Memorial
WWII Memorial
Holocaust Memorial Museum
Tidal Basin for cherry blossoms
Thomas Jefferson Memorial
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
Arlington National Cemetery
Chinatown
International Spy Museum

If rental car:
Udvar Hazey air and space annex
NRA HQ

Places to eat:
Ben's Chili bowl

Anything else?

ED: my cel number is 303-588-9181. Please feel free to text me if you want to connect.
Last edited by Obey Wann on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Blackburn
Mountain Garrison
TS/IC/IN/TI-6960

TR2101
Executive Officer

Re: Mountain Garrison Member in your neighborhood April 26-M

Postby TR2101 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Great to have you visiting. I don't work in DC but usually have my nights and weekends off would be able to meet up sometime to hang out show you around.
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
TR - IC - TI - IN - IG 2101
Sovereign Protector - Jolly Rogers Squadron - Imperial Officer Corp. - Imperial Gunner
ImageXO by Allen Shepherd, on Flickr
Grubbzilla
Moff

Postby Grubbzilla » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Almost everything on that list is within walking distance of each other. The Uzari-Hazey or however you spell it out at Dulles airport is completely worth the visit. Especially if your a plane buff of any kind. And one of the Space Shuttles is there.

When are you actually going to be in town? I'm sure a bunch of us would be willing to come down to DC and hang out with you for a day or so. I know I just love wandering the Mall and all the Smithsonian museums.

We could even get some folks from Tyrannous to come up from VA I'm sure since we see many of them quite often.
Eric the Grubb
Mint Julep Squad
ID/IS/TB/IC 3294
Obey Wann
501st Member

Postby Obey Wann » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:25 pm

That would be great!

I'll try to stock up on patches and coins if anyone is of the trading sort.

I'll put my cel number in my first post there, and we an coordinate as it gets closer. The only night time event I have booked so far is a monument cruise at 8pm on Wednesday 4/29.

I also saw the Race for Hope troop on 5/3. I'm going to try and fit my IC kit into my bags.
Bill Blackburn
Mountain Garrison
TS/IC/IN/TI-6960

Grubbzilla
Moff

Postby Grubbzilla » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:31 pm

We've also got Free Comic Book Day on the 2nd at 3rd Eye in Annapolis. Wouldn't be the first time I've driven to the metro and picked someone up coming out of DC for it. Might have to get someone else to take you back to the metro or I can take you back a bit earlier then the end of the day as I've got a wedding I need to attend later that evening but it's a fun troop every year for us :)
Eric the Grubb
Mint Julep Squad
ID/IS/TB/IC 3294
Obey Wann
501st Member

Postby Obey Wann » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Grubbzilla wrote:When are you actually going to be in town? I'm sure a bunch of us would be willing to come down to DC and hang out with you for a day or so. I know I just love wandering the Mall and all the Smithsonian museums.

We could even get some folks from Tyrannous to come up from VA I'm sure since we see many of them quite often.

April 26-May 9. I get in about 2:30PM or so on the Sunday the 26th, but I fly out at oh-dark early on Saturday the 9th.

I'll be working at the main DOI building from 8-5 or so, but nights and weekends are otherwise open. Because I do video for my agency, I will be taking as many photos and videos as I can. I need as much B-roll (background footage) as I can get.

Unfortunately, my family can't make it, so it'll just be me. I'm planning on sightseeing as much as possible while I'm there.

Grubbzilla wrote:We've also got Free Comic Book Day on the 2nd at 3rd Eye in Annapolis. Wouldn't be the first time I've driven to the metro and picked someone up coming out of DC for it. Might have to get someone else to take you back to the metro or I can take you back a bit earlier then the end of the day as I've got a wedding I need to attend later that evening but it's a fun troop every year for us :)

Sounds great. Let's see what we can do. I've never been to Annapolis before.

ED: Also, if I do rent the car for Uvar Hazy on Saturday, then I could possibly use that to head up to Annapolis, depending on what time the troop is.
Bill Blackburn
Mountain Garrison
TS/IC/IN/TI-6960

Thumper
Trooper

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Save the money on the rental. The Udvar-Hazy center is great and worth the trip but the monuments themselves you have listed will kill a day walking along, and the other museums will do the same. Air and Space, Natural History, American History and the Holocaust Museum can easily take up an 8 hr day each, depending on how involved you want to get in them (IMAX movies, read every exhibit, etc etc).

There's a Hard Rock Cafe in DC if you are a Hard Rock-phile. Rosa Mexican on 7th Street in Chinatown is good for sit down Mexican (Chinatown ... I know, right?) and if you want fast food type Mexican that's good then DC Taco is awesome (1309 F Street NW, a couple blocks from the White House). Also, I've never had a bad meal at any food truck in DC. Not the tourist shirt/water/hotdog stands but actually food trucks. They have many with a wide variety.

If you want something a bit more pricey but a DC standard, theres also Old Ebbits Grill. Its directly across from the Treasury Building on 15th Street NW.

The Newseum, the Museum of News. Its worth the time as well.

And if you want history, Ford's Theater is a nice trip down history lane (although it didn't work out so well for Lincoln.)
Mark Switzer
TB/TI/TK
for Heidi
TK4108
Captain

Postby TK4108 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

We hope you enjoy your visit!!!
Matthew Morley / TK/TI/IC-4108 / Singapore Garrison / 501st Legion / Kilted Trooper Brigade
Lunchbox
Veteran

Postby Lunchbox » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 am

I actually work right outside chinatown, literally a block and a half away from the Spy Museum, and will be doing so for most of your visit. I work nights and weekend unfortunately but if you wanted to arrange a lunch or something I'd be happy to come down early and meet up. I'm a Coin trader (pics of available to trade coins in the link below)! And aside from the Free Comic Book Day there is, of course, a few May the 4th events that you'll be in town for, as well as a 10K on May the 3rd right in DC not to far from where you'll be working.

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/mcwas ... %20OH%20MY
Marc Wasserman
Jorad Werde
Lunchbox
MMCC #995
TI/IC-99500
Kyrimorut Clan Ruus'alor
Obey Wann
501st Member

Postby Obey Wann » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:05 pm

Lunchbox, I'd love to meet up with you for lunch. :) I'll be bringing what swag I have for trades. I'm trying to get my hands on more... sadly, I'm a little low on garrison patches, but I do have some other coins and patches that I'll bring.

Thanks for the advice, and I'm definitely up for meeting with any of you that I can. :cheers1
Bill Blackburn
Mountain Garrison
TS/IC/IN/TI-6960

Obey Wann
501st Member

Postby Obey Wann » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:11 am

I made it to DC! My cel number is 303-588-9181. Please feel free to text me if you want to connect.

My hours are very flexible... I just have training the next 2 days from 8-430. Beyond that, nothing major.

I brought some MG swag for trade, and I'd love to meet up with anyone I can. Drop me a line if you are in the area! :cheers1
Bill Blackburn
Mountain Garrison
TS/IC/IN/TI-6960

Obey Wann
501st Member

Postby Obey Wann » Wed May 06, 2015 9:50 am

I'll be leaving on Saturday for Denver, but I want to thank you all for the warm welcome. I had a great time trooping with Lunchbox and a couple from VA... and I have absolutely loved playing tourist in DC. I even got a lot of valuable work done, too. And i have hit nearly everything on my to-do list.

If possible, I would like to do some type of patch trade for a OLG garrison patch or two. I can do this by mail... but if anyone has any patches to trade, please LMK. I know of at least one MG member who is from here and would love a patch representing your fine garrison. I have some cool squad patches from the Mile High and Pikes Peak Squads, among others, available for trade.

And if any of you ever travel out to colorful Colorado, please post up on our forums. We do have an X-Wing. ;)

Bill Blackburn
Mountain Garrison
TS/IC/IN/TI-6960

Lunchbox
Veteran

Postby Lunchbox » Wed May 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Great meeting you Bill; and thanks for all the help at the troop last weekend
Marc Wasserman
Jorad Werde
Lunchbox
MMCC #995